Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Author: J.K. Rowling
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Rating: 5/5 stars
Reading Challenges: HP
How I Got It: Own it!
This one is a reread for me. It's been awhile since I read the series. I remember reading the first couple of books out loud to the boys when they were infants. SO that's what eight years ago? I read the last few books as they came out, but overall it's been awhile.
Instead of doing a traditional review, I thought I would just give you some of my reread thoughts. Things I noticed, things I loved, quotes I like, etc. And then I will have a mini review of movie vs. book.
- Favorite scene: For this book there were a few great scenes. 1) The Knight Bus. Although I loved what they did in the movie, I did enjoy this little episode in the book. 2) Harry's argument with Snape about James. We see the tension build between these two characters. And even though Harry doesn't know the whole story, I love how he stands up for his father. 3) Hermione standing up to Malfoy. Gold!
- Favorite character: I could decided between Professor Trelawney, Crookshanks, or Lupin. All had great qualities.
- Favorite expressions: "Mischeif managed" -- words to wipe the Marauder's Map. "Flibbertigibbet" -- password for the dormitory. "Collywobbles" -- what thinking about the dementors gives to Ernie, driver of The Knight Bus
- I forgot that we get to meet Cedric Diggory and Cho Chang in this book. Obviously they become more important next book.
- Professor Lupin teaches the students about grindylows and kapps which reside in the lake. They also play a part in the next book. He also teaches them about Red Caps. Those guys show up in all kinds of fantasy books. Love it!
only one from this book
- "You think the dead we lvoed ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself most plainly when you have need of him." -- Dumbledore Pg. 427
My favorite scenes:
- Loved The Knight Bus scene. It plays so beautifully and gives some comedic releif to the much darker turn later on.
- Time-turner scene. I loved to see the replay of events from a slightly different perspective
Things I wished to see, but didn't:
- More Crookshanks. Love that cat.
- The fight with Malfoy by the Shrieking Shack. In the book, it was a mud fight. They changed it to a snowball fight. I would have like to see it as a mid fight.
- More Professor Trelawney. Emma Thompson is just too wonderful. I wanted more and more of her.