Title: The Emerald Circus
Author: Jane Yolen
Publisher: Tachyon 2017
Genre: Fantasy - Short Stories
Rating: 5/5 stars
Reading Challenges: Modern Mrs. Darcy - Favorite Author;A to Z - E; I Love Libraries
A Scottish academic unearths ancient evil in a fishing village. Edgar Allan Poe's young bride is beguiled by a most unusual bird. Dorothy, lifted from Kansas, returns as a gymnastic sophisticate. Emily Dickinson dwells in possibility and sails away in a starship made of light. Alice’s wicked nemesis has jaws and claws but really needs a sense of humor.
In Jane Yolen’s first full collection in more than ten years discover new and uncollected tales of beloved characters, literary legends, and much more. Enter the Emerald Circus and be astonished by the transformations within.
I have loved many of Jane Yolen's books and couldn't wait to pick up this collection of Short Stories. They are perfect for this fan of fairy tale retellings. Once I started reading, I couldn't put this collection down. Every story was on point! Of course, a few of the stories really stood out to me.
- "Lost Girls" -- Loved this story of a new visitor to Neverland who shakes up the status quo.
- "Tough Alice" -- Alice in Wonderland is one of my all-time favorites and this new visit involving the Jabberwock was lots of fun.
- "Blown Away" -- I also have a weakness for Wizard of Oz stories. This one focused on the farmhand's experience of the twister and aftermath. Interesting take.
- "Rabbit Hole" -- Here we see Alice's visit to Wonderland as a old woman. Loved it!
- "Sister Emily's Lightship" -- Emily Dickinson was such fascinating character in history. I loved this spin on her afflictions.
Next up on the TBR pile: