This sounds like the perfect challenge for me! I have a ton of series just sitting on my shelves unread. For this August, I'm going to attempt to read the The Finishing School series by Gail Carriger. I've read the first book, but still have three books in the series to tackle.
The Finishing School
- #1 Etiquette and Espionage -- already read
- #2 Curtsies and Conspiracies
- #3 Waistcoats and Weaponry
- #4 Manners and Mutiny
If I speed through this series, I may just start something else (thinking a romance trilogy).
- Pick 1 series. Yes, just 1. Announce which series you’ve picked on your sign up post.
- Read EVERY book in the series. You don’t have to read novellas or short stories, just the core books.
- Read them all between 12am (your time) August 1st and 11:59pm (your time) August 31st. They MUST be marked (on Goodreads) as started and finished in the month of August to count.
- Enjoy bragging to everyone about how you’re all caught up on whatever series you read (AKA – have fun)!
The Nitty Gritty / Inevitable questions
Here’s some questions that we’ve anticipated (and asked each other as we figured it out) and we can update this section as we get more questions (assuming there will be).
- Q: Can I read more than 1 series?
- I know we have some reading over-achievers out there who want to do more. Go ahead, we’ll cheer you on, but there’s no bonus points or higher levels for reading more than 1.
- Q:How many books constitutes a series?
- We’re going to say 3 published books – so if it’s a trilogy it counts. If you want to take on a 40 book series, be our guest. And good luck!
- Q: Can I have started the series?
- Yes… but you have to read at least 3 books to finish the series. We get it. You read one or two, intend to come back but then never do. Now’s your chance. If you have only 2 books remaining, though, it doesn’t count (see rereads below for exception). There must be at least 3 books remaining. So if it’s a trilogy and you’ve read 1 – it doesn’t count. This is a challenge, after all. It’s not supposed to be THAT easy 🙂
- Q: Does the entire series have to be published and complete?
- No. But there must be at least 3 books published for it to count (or if you’ve already read 1 book, 4 published). So if there’s going to be six books, but only 4 are published and you’ve read the first one, it counts. So if it’s a trilogy that not yet complete, that wouldn’t count.
- Q: Can I reread a series?
- You can’t reread an ENTIRE series. But if you have less than three books remaining in a series (so 2 or 1) you may reread 1 or 2 books, so that you’re reading 3 books. For example, if you’ve read 3 books in a 5 book series, you could reread 1 book and then read the 2 unread books, bring your total to three.
Bragging rights! Nah, just kidding. We will be awarding <2> $5 Gift Cards to Amazon, selected randomly from everyone who successfully completes the challenge. I think we MAY be able to get Michelle to make fun “I Read a Series in a Month logos” too, to help with the bragging. 😛