Title: Land of the Dead
Year Released/Rating: 2005 R
Starring: Simon Baker, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, Asia Argento
Directed By: George A. Romero
Written By: George A. Romero
Star Rating: 3/5 stars
Where I Got It: Netflix instant
- George A. Romero was so impressed with Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's Shaun of the Dead that he asked them to appear in this, the fourth part of his "Dead" series, and they appear as the photo-booth zombies in the carnival/bar-room sequence. They also feature prominently in the artwork for the unrated directors' cut.
- This is the first film of George A. Romero's "Living Dead" series which uses digital effects.
- Asia Argento (Slack) is the daughter of noted Italian horror filmmaker Dario Argento, who was the co-producer and co-composer of one of the previous entries in George Romero's zombie series, Dawn of the Dead.
- George A. Romero's daughter appears in the film. She is the soldier who shoots the zombie on the electrified fence.
Summary: The living dead have taken over the world, and the last humans live in a walled city to protect themselves as they come to grips with the situation
Definitely not as cheesy as Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, but not all that great. I am not a big fan of this movie. I know it's Romero, but I feel like he crossed a line with the adapting zombies. They have become too comical, not really that crazy at all. So, I think with this movie, I am done with the Romero series.
- [from trailer] Kaufman: Zombies, man. They creep me out.
- Riley: Make sure she doesn't hurt herself. Slack: I can take care of myself, ok? Riley: Fine. Charlie, make sure she doesn't hurt anyone else.
- Foxy: [Cholo is bitten by a zombie and Foxy hold a gun aimed at him] It's your call man. Cholo: [hesitates then shakes his head no] Nah, I always wanted to see how the other half lives.