From Sci-fi and Scary:
This challenge was inspired by Abe Book’s 50 Essential Sci-Fi Novels list.
This challenge has 3 levels. Dabbler, Dreamer, and Connoisseur .
Choose a tier to aim for, and read an appropriate number of books from the Wired Into Sci-Fi bookshelf/list below.
Dabbler– Read 10 out of 30 of the Wired Into Sci-Fi Books. May DNF at the 33% point 2 times, and still have it count as a read. Any more after that, you must select an another book from the list to read instead.
Dreamer – Read 20 out of 30 of the Wired into Sci-Fi Books. May DNF at the 33% point 5 times, and still have it counted as a read. Any more after that, you must select another book from the list to read instead.
Connoisseur – Read 25+ books of the Wired into Sci-Fi Books. May DNF at the 33% point 7 times. Any more after that, you must select another book from the list to read instead.
Should you read all 30 books, you don’t get a special prize, but you will know you are completely awesome.
- You may note that most of these books are fairly well-known. That’s a deliberate choice, as they’re meant to be ones that are accesible. Not books you have to pay 15 or 20 bucks to get your hands on.
- Old Man’s War by John Scalzi
- Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy #1 by Douglas Adams
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
- Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
- Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
- Ringworld by Larry Niven
- Tau Zero by Poul Anderson
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
- Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement
- Ring Around the Sun by Cliffard D. Simak
- The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
- The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett
- When Worlds Collide by Philip Wylie
- The Death of Grass by John Christopher
- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
- Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
- The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard
- Make Room! Make Room! by Henry Harrison
- Logan’s Run by William F. Nolan
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
- The Female Man by Joanna Russ
- Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.
- Foundation by Isaac Asimov
- Life by Gwyneth Jones
Chance to Win:(*age 18+, legal resident of the US)
Tier One: A e-copy of Sci-Fi & Scary’s favorite science fiction novel.
Tier Two: Prize pack of 3 indie pubbed sci-fi novels that have received at least a 4* rating from Sci-Fi & Scary.
Tier Three: $25.00 GC to Thriftbooks.com
Challenge Ends: Dec 31st, 2017.
Participants have until Jan 15, 2018 to confirm their completion.
Winners will be announced January 19th, 2018.
I'm going with the Dabbler level of 10 books. I would go for more, but I have so many reading challenges this year that I don't want to overwhelm myself.