Title: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Year Released/Rating: 2013 PG-13
Starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage
Directed By: Peter Jackson
Written By: J.R.R. Tolkien, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro
Genre: Fantasy, Action
Star Rating: 5/5 stars
Where I Got It: Server
- The insult Thorin screams in Dwarvish at Thranduil in Khuzdul basically translates as "I dump my feces on your head."
- The only time Legolas blinks is when he realizes he has been wounded. This is in keeping with the character, as the only time Legolas blinks in the Lord of the Rings trilogy is when he is strongly surprised.
- Orlando Bloom is two years older than Lee Pace who plays his father, King Thranduil.
- Thranduil's sudden scars reflect a little-emphasized facet of J.R.R. Tolkien's lore: elves' "Fëa" (a metaphysical concept analogous translatable as "soul") occasionally influences the "Hröa" (the fleshly, physical body), particularly under moments of extreme stress. This can manifest as extreme physical changes that reflect the mind's state, in this case deep war scars.
- Bilbo steals the keys to the prison from an Elf addressed as Elros. Elros is also the name of Elrond's brother. The two brothers had both human and Elvish ancestry on both their mother's and father's side, and as such were perfectly half-Elf and half-Man. While Elrond chose to be an immortal Elf, Elros chose to become a mortal man. He thus became the progenitor of the Numenorian race, and an ancestor of Aragorn.
- A pair of Megaloceros giganteus (Irish elk) antlers flanks the Elf king's throne.
- This film is features the first occurrence of seeing the character Legolas bleed on screen.
The dwarves, along with Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey, continue their quest to reclaim Erebor, their homeland, from Smaug. Bilbo Baggins is in possession of a mysterious and magical ring.
Yes I realize that I am super behind in watching this one. I finally got around to it. And boy was it good. I really love the interaction between Bilbo and Smaug. The last 30 minutes is really the best part of the film. I can't wait to see how it ends.
- Legolas: [Looking at two pictures in a locket that he has confiscated from Gloin. The picture on the left has a long thick beard] Who is this? Your brother? Gloin: That is my wife! Legolas: [Looking at the infant in the other picture] And who is this horrid creature? A goblin mutant? Gloin: That is my wee lad, Gimli!
- Kili: Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers. Tauriel: Or nothing.
- [Smaug is smothered with a deluge of molten gold]mSmaug: [rises up] Revenge? REVENGE? I will show you revenge! [takes flight towards Lake Town] I am fire! I am... death!
- [observes a carving of the Arkenstone] Bilbo Baggins: What's that? Balin: That is the Arkenstone. Bilbo Baggins: And what is it? Thorin Oakenshield: That, Master Burglar, is why you are here.