From Bookmark to Blog:
Welcome to the 2014 Monthly Motif Reading Challenge! For this challenge, each month is assigned a certain motif or theme. Your task is to read one book per month that fits in with the motif for that particular month.MONTHLY MOTIFS:
- Jan- Around the World Choose a book to read that takes place in a country different than the one you live in or choose a book written by an author that is from a country different than your own.
- Feb- Award Winner Read a book that won recognition or an award in 2012.
- Mar- Fairy tales or Fairy Creatures Read a fairy tale retelling or a book with fey/fairies in it.
- Apr- Short & Sweet Read a collection of short stories or anthologies.
- May- Mystery, Murder, & Mayhem Read a murder/mystery book, a book in which someone dies of mysterious causes, or a book in which a mystery must be solved.
- June- A Long Journey Read a book in which the character(s) take a trip, go on a quest, or find themselves on a journey toward something, etc.
- July- Assassins, Warriors, & Rebels Read a book in which the main character is one of these things or fights against one of these things.
- Aug- Alternate Reality Read a book that's set in the future, on another planet, in another dimension, or in an unknown world. A Dystopian book will count this month as well.
- Sep- Book to Movie Read a book that has a movie based off of it. For an extra challenge, see the movie as well.
- Oct- The Witching Hour There's been a lot of zombies lately, but this year include a 'witchy' book in your scary reads- a book about a witch or a book that has witches in it.
- Nov- An Oldie but a Goodie Pick a book published before 2000 that you've always wanted to read, but just never got to. Or pick a book set in the past (before 2000).
- Dec- That's a Wrap Finish a series you've been meaning to finish or read the next book in a series you started but never finished.
- January -- High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
- February -- Flesh and Bone by Jonathan Maberry (Bram Stoker Award)
- March -- Tales of the Brothers Grimm
- April -- Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk
- May -- Deanna Raybourn mystery
- June -- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- July -- Maria Snyder fantasy
- August -- Cherie Priest or another author's steampunk
- September -- Tess of the d'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy
- October -- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- November -- TBD
- December -- TBD
From Bookmark to Blog:
Welcome to the 2nd Annual Monthly Key Word Reading Challenge! For this challenge I have chosen six key words associated with each month in 2014. Your task is to read one book each month whose title includes one or more of the key words for that month.
* The title you choose can be a variation on one of the key words. For example- your title could include the word 'snowing' or 'snowflake' even though the key word is 'snow.'
* Key words can be tweaked. For example- You could read "Cinder" or "Ashes" for the key word 'Fire' and that would be just fine. If the key word is 'family' then your title could include the word 'sister' or 'mother.'If the key word is 'food' then your title could include the word 'cake.'
* Link up below to participate and add additional links any time you post about the challenge or post about a book you read for the challenge.
MONTHLY KEY WORDS:
JAN- Angel, Secret, Clock, Black, Day, Wild
FEB- Her, Life, Night, Red, Dark, Island
MAR- Forever, Inside, Storm, Sky, Flower, Stay
APR- Star, Light, Never, Princess, Break, Clear
MAY- Dawn, Death, End, Lost, Beautiful, And
JUN- Color, Beyond, Day, Place, Grave, Road
JUL- Beautiful, Ship, Prince, Whisper, Sun, Of
AUG- Forgotten, Down, True, Run, Danger, Me
SEP- Number, Take, Shadow, Ice, Who, After
OCT- Ocean, Blood, Still, Out, The, Fate
NOV- Into, Sound, Blue, House, My, Last
DEC- Kiss, Fire, Ruin, White, Promise, Infinity
- January -- In the Company of Secrets
- February -- The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul by Terry Pratchett
- March -- Yellow Crocus
- April -- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- May -- The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- June -- The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen
- July -- The Little Prince
- August -- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- September -- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- October -- Bloodring by Faith Hunter
- November -- The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
- December -- The Angel's Kiss