Title: Resident Evil: Afterlife
Year Released/Rating: 2010 R
Starring: Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Wentworth Miller
Directed By: Paul W.S. Anderson
Written By: Paul W.S. Anderson
Star Rating: 3/5 stars
Where I Got It: Library Loan
- Claire Redfield wears a red vest, her primary outfit from her game appearances.
- Wentworth Miller jokingly admits he was nervous about his character Chris Redfield being similar to his Prison Break character Michael Scoffield: in both cases, he is in a prison and his first lines are "I know a way out of here".
- The opening scene in the movie is quite symbolic - all people are wearing umbrellas in the rain except the zombie girl. "Umbrella" is also the name of the corporation who is responsible for the creation and spread of the T-Virus, on which the main plot of the Resident Evil series is based.
- The scarab device that are strapped to the survivors and the giant zombie Axeman are lifted from the video game Resident Evil 5.
- The ship Arcadia was actually shot moored on the docks in Toronto. The docks were then all stripped out digitally.
Summary: While still out to destroy the evil Umbrella Corporation, Alice joins a group of survivors who want to relocate to the mysterious but supposedly unharmed safe haven known only as Arcadia.
I love the first 30 minutes and the last 20 minutes of the movie. Other than that, this movie kind of blows. The entire middle section at the prison is not very exciting and kind of silly. But I still love Milla as Alice. And it's nice to re-meet Claire and meet Chris Redfield. Plus you get the nice reveal at the end of the movie aboard Arcadia. Not a great movie, but I'll take it.
- Alice: Hey, boys. Is that anyway to treat a lady?
- Albert Wesker: Well isn't this one big family reunion? Chris and Claire Redfield, you've really become quite an inconvenience for me. Alice: I told you I'd be bringing a few friends. Albert Wesker: [removes sunglasses] You should have brought more.
- Alice: Day 6, 1800 hours, Los Angeles. No signs of life, not even the undead. They must have burned with the city. But what about the rest?
- Alice: Umbrella. Claire Redfield: Of course. I remember them coming for us. Alice: This whole thing, Arcadia, was a lie. Claire Redfield: No, it's worse than that. It's a trap.